How to Navigate the Platform | Yext Hitchhikers Platform
What You’ll Learn
In this section, you will learn:
- How to navigate around the platform
- Common UI elements
- Common terms
Welcome to the Yext Platform
We’re glad you’ve decided to work with Yext! When you first log in, your experience may vary a bit based on your account type, the products you’ve purchased, your user permissions, or custom development that was done in your account. We’ve tried to make it so that certain patterns and UI elements are predictable enough that you should still be able to find your way around. And if not, you can always visit hitchhikers.yext.com or help.yext.com for assistance.
We organize our platform by product area and settings. On the left, you will see the main product areas (or at least the ones you’ve purchased). We call this the navigation bar.
Within each, there may be one or more sub-navigation options that allow you to see more detailed screens for a product.
Favorites are a way to easily access your most-used pages in Yext by pinning them to your navigation bar.
Navigate to any page in Yext and hover over its name in the navigation bar. Click the star icon that appears to add it as a favorite.
Next, a modal will appear where you can enter a custom name to save it under (or keep it as-is).
Hit Save and you’ll now see that page pinned to the top of the navigation bar. You can add multiple favorites to easily get to the features and tools you use most.
Configuration options for your account are accessible via Account Settings. You can access Account Settings by hovering over the profile icon at the bottom of the navigation bar and clicking on Account Settings.
On the Account Settings page, you will see settings and configuration options organized by category.
- Account Configuration: Manage your personal user settings and account-wide settings, link third-party accounts for integrations, and enable new features during early access periods.
- User Access Management: View and manage user roles and permissions, create user groups, and configure SAML single sign-on.
- Account Usage: View and manage the Yext products and services available in your subscription.
At the top of the navigation bar, you will see the Quick Find Tool. You can click directly on it, or use the Command+K (Mac) or Ctrl+K (PC) keyboard shortcuts.
This will open a pop-up window where you can search for specific entities, pages in the platform, or help articles.
Common UI Patterns
Many of the screens have common UI patterns. Here are a few that we think you should be familiar with.
Yext tables typically look like this:
These tables typically have the following features:
- Filter and search results in the table by using filter options at the top
- Calls-to-action (e.g., Edit, Export, etc.) are usually under a “More Actions” or “Select Actions” dropdown
- Add additional columns using the Columns dropdown, and change the number of results that appear per page
- If sorting is available, you can do so by clicking the column header
- Rows are selectable via checkboxes. You can select all by selecting the box at the top.
In most cases, when you click to filter data to a single entity or set of entities you will use the entity picker. The entity picker is tabbed and allows you to add single entities, or groups of entities by folder or label, in a shopping-cart style.
When you are given options to pick one or more fields (to copy into a template, to add to an entity type, to export, and so on) you’ll see a tree-like option that allows you to pick a field or set of fields easily. In many cases, you can also search for fields.